Code of Conduct
- Canoe and Equipment Use Policy
applies to outrigger canoes, accessories, paddles, tents, trailers, and
material or equipment belonging to Kihei Canoe Club.
- Other than regularly scheduled/published member
paddles or ashes/wedding ceremonies, all requests for use of club canoes and
equipment must be made in writing to the board and approved in advance by the
board or it's representative. Email requests are acceptable.
- Persons wishing to use the trailer must show proof of
a valid driver license and insurance to a board member in advance.
- All commercial and fundraising events requesting use
of club equipment must be coordinated by the Board or it's representative. This
includes quoting for equipment use, arranging member participation as required,
- Non-profit or community organizations may make
requests for equipment use through the Board or it's representative in writing
and are invited to make a donation to the club.
- Two Boat Rule
Members may paddle at any
regularly scheduled and published time. As a general policy, two club canoes
should always be together on the water during these times. On rare occasions
during these times, a board or coach approved steersman with experienced
members may take one canoe as long as they paddle within 100 yards of shore
between Ko`ie`ie Fishpond and the "river mouth" at Kealia pond. A board or
coach approved steersman is the following:
- has taken the club's steersman's training course and
completed the sign off procedure or is recognized by the Board and Paddling
community as an accomplished steers person
- has at least two years experience steering OC-6
canoes in a variety of sea and wind conditions
- knows how to right a canoe after a huli
- carries a signal whistle, horn, marine radio or
- will take full responsibility for the crew and canoe
while steering it